While we focus a lot of creative attention to decorating Christmas trees, we often forget all about the top of the tree. Instead of being creative, most decorators revert to the traditional star or angel for their tree. Why don’t you become creative and add something completely different to the top of your tree this Christmas? Here are a few Christmas tree topper suggestions to consider.
- Feathers – you can buy imitation feathers from most craft shops. Peacock feathers can add some real elegance to a tree – and certainly look different.
- Flowers – a posy of fresh flowers can make a great Christmas tree topper. You can also consider larger flowers such as a white poinsettia or hydrangea.
- Snow Flake – your children will enjoy helping here, in fact, most school age children are better at making a snow flake than their parent. Fold up a sheet of white paper then cut a snow flake design. Unfold and behold a wonderful snow flake for the top of your tree.
- Ribbons – create an elegant and formal bow tie using ribbon, or simply hang coloured ribbons in a streamer effect. It’s your tree, use your imagination.
- Teddy Bears – teddy bears make great decorations, whether it’s small bears for the tree, or a large bear for the top, they look great. If you have a young member of the family, make it their teddy once Christmas has finished.
- Toys – there are a wide range of toys that can be added to the top of a Christmas tree. Make sure the toy is not too large for the tree.
- Photos – for the sentimentalists, photos of absent or departed family members often bring sobriety to Christmas, they also make the tree somewhat special.
- Star – while a star is very traditional, you can make your own. Make a wire five pointed star then decorate it with what ever comes to hand. Small coloured baubles, paper, flowers – again, use your imagination.
- Mix’n’Match – try mixing several of these ideas together, for example, a teddy with a posy of fresh flowers, or a hand made stare with ribbons.
Christmas tree toppers can be anything that appeals to you and your family. The joy of a modern Christmas tree is that there is no right or wrong way to decorate a tree when it comes to being creative. If the end result looks good in your eyes, then that is what matters most. Tree toppers add that final finish, and you don’t have to stick with traditional Christmas stars, create your own stunning effect instead.